Select Page

Adrianna Jewel Riley, known to her peers as AJ, is a senior from London, KY who came to ALC to pursue a degree in education. She was accepted into Alice Lloyd College’s Teacher Education Program (TEP) in August of 2021 and will complete her student teaching requirement and graduate in December 2023.   

AJ is an Elementary and Middle School Education major with an emphasis in mathematics. After she graduates from ALC in December of 2023, she plans to become a math teacher. AJ decided when she was a little girl that teaching was meant for her “I loved teaching my little sisters and cousins’ new things and play school with them.” During her educational path, AJ’s elementary and middle school math teachers pushed her in and out of the classroom to become to best student and person she could be. “Those great experiences that I had with those teachers helped influence my decision on becoming an Elementary and Middle School Education Major”.  

During her time in the TEP, AJ’s favorite class has been Education 313, which is the final practicum class before student teaching. “This class has been like a miniature student teaching. I have learned so much during this class and my confidence has grown. I have enjoyed spending time with my 8th graders and teaching and watching them grow. This class was demanding and had a lot of work but it was meaningful and taught me a lot.”  

During her time at ALC, AJ has been on the Dean’s List (3.5-3.75 GPA) or President’s list (4.0 GPA) every semester. Her sophomore year she received The Alice Lloyd College Scholastic Society Award (a sophomore with a 3.5 or higher GPA and a minimum of 45 credit hours). This past Honor’s Day she received the Alice Lloyd College Student Teacher Award that is sponsored by the class of 1982. At ALC, every student must participate in the College’s work study program. In the program, each student is assigned a job to report to and at least 10 hours of work each week. AJ completes her work study contract in the College’s Marketing Department as a student supervisor. In her work study job, she is “responsible for taking pictures of different events on campus, different projects we have going on, and of students! I am also responsible for general office duties such as answering the phone and making sure office supplies is organized. I also work different summer events such as Freshman Orientation.” AJ is an outstanding student worker and received the Marking and Communications Work Award in 2022 and the Student Supervisor Award in 2023 for her efforts.  

After students have obtained the credit statutes of sophomore (60 credit hours), they are allowed to apply for a 15- or 20-hour weekly work study contract to work additional hours and receive financial assistance. AJ has completed a 20-hour work contract in the Marketing Department each of the past two years. “A big thing that the additional hours helped me with is daily living expenses like groceries, gas, and clothing. I am required by my major to get a certain number of observation hours in multiple counties so having the extra gas money to get to and from different schools has been a blessing. Because I am in the office more, I have been able to build new and stronger friendships.”  

AJ’s extra circular activities include being a part of ALC’s Phi Beta Lambda (PBL) chapter and being a member of ALC’s Kentucky Aspiring Educators (KEA) branch. As a part of PBL, AJ helps pack weekly food bags as part of the “Power-UP Nutrition Program”. These bags are sent out to local schools to elementary students who are in need. As a member of KEA, AJ attends two meetings and five volunteer events each semester.  Outside of her extracurricular activities, AJ has participated in several community service events including packing shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, sending packages to families in Haiti for hurricane relief, and packing senior boxes at Corbin Presbyterian Church.  

In July of 2022, Eastern Kentucky was hit with a devastating flood that took many lives and homes and took months to rebuild roads so that people could leave their homes. The morning after the flood, AJ helped clean campus of debris and mud. Later, in October 2022, at a flood relief site located in Carr Creek, KY, AJ helped pack and deliver boxes of blankets, gloves, hats, and board games to families. “I was working on campus last summer when the flood came. It was heartbreaking and scary to see all the destruction after the water had went down. During our time of need, we had thousands of people come together to help deliver food, water, gas for generators, and shelter for the people who lost their homes and couldn’t leave. It was amazing to see how many people were willing to come out and help. You don’t realize how lucky you are until the places and people you love so dearly are impacted by something like this.”  

When asked if she would recommend ALC to others she replied “Absolutely! You will find some of the best people at ALC. There are always people here ready to help in any way they can.” AJ says that coming to ALC has helped her realize her passion of her family, “This campus is like its own little community and everyone here is like a family. I believe that since being at ALC, I have grown closer to my family members and my friends.”  

As AJ is getting ready to leave campus and enter the workforce, we know that she will accomplish everything she strived to do and wish her the best of luck in her student teaching semester!  

Article by Student Contributor, Abi Dobson