Select Page

Monticello, KY:  The Alice Lloyd College basketball program has landed a big prize as one of the top players in the Eastern Kentucky area has announced his intentions to become an Eagle next season and signed his letter of commitment.

Thomas Spencer, one of the finest all-around hoopsters in the mountains, has announced that he will continue his roundball career at Alice Lloyd College for 2020-21.

Spencer, a 6’5” athletic swingman from Wayne County High School, led the Cardinals to a district championship this season and a berth in the 12th Region Tournament.

Under the tutelage of legendary coach Rodney Woods, Spencer was impressive this year, as he led the club by averaging 22.2 points per game, while shooting almost 58% from the floor. In addition, he paved the way by hauling down 5.9 rebounds per outing. He is also considered one of the strongest defensive players in the region.

Alice Lloyd Head Coach Scott Cornett and Associate Head Coach Gary D. Stepp, were ecstatic to land the Wayne County product. “Thomas is one of the top student-athletes in Eastern Kentucky.  He is a highly skilled player, and has received guidance from one of the state’s best mentors in Rodney Woods.” The coaches would add, “Most importantly, Thomas is a winner, but is determined to get even better. Anytime you have an opportunity to bring that caliber of player into your program, it is a great thing.”

When asked about his decision to join the Eagles, Spencer replied, “The reason I chose Alice Lloyd College is because the second I stepped onto campus, it felt like I was part of a family. The facilities are great, and the atmosphere is perfect for basketball.”

As a junior, Spencer, also led his club in scoring (17.5ppg) and was second in rebounding (6.6rpg). In addition, he was chosen as a member of the select Kentucky Junior All-Star Team.  During his standout career, he helped Wayne County win three-consecutive 48th District championships, and earn four regional tournament appearances. Twice, his squad advanced to the 12th Region semi-finals.

The Wayne County native went on to say, “In the short time I was on campus, I was able to briefly experience the brotherhood and camaraderie that exists in the locker-room and I couldn’t wait to be a part of it. I’m excited as to what the future holds for me and I am ready to get to work. Go Eagles!”

Spencer finished his dynamic career by scoring over 1,600 points, and snaring over 600 rebounds.