On Saturday, May 12th, Alice Lloyd College will hold its 30th Baccalaureate and Commencement. Baccalaureate services will be conducted in the Grady Nutt Athletic Center Gym at 10:30 AM. Commencement exercises will follow at 12:15 PM. This year, Reverend Glenn Noe and Dr. R. Bruce Bickel are scheduled to address the 98 candidates for graduation.
Reverend Noe will deliver the baccalaureate address to the graduating class of 2012. A native of Kentucky, Reverend Noe graduated from Dilce Combs High School in Jeff, Kentucky, and then continued his education at Cumberland College in Williamsburg, Kentucky. His calling to serve God and his fellow man led him to pursue a master’s degree from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. He is married to Sheila Everage Noe, a retired administrator of the Hazard Nursing Home. Together, the Noes have served the mountain people for over 30 years. During the course of his career, Reverend Noe has served several pastorates within eastern Kentucky and helped to establish three new churches at Maytown, Colson, and Myra. He and his wife currently reside in Red Fox, Kentucky and have two daughters, two sons-in-law, and six grandchildren.
The commencement speech will be given by Dr. R. Bruce Bickel, Senior Vice President and Managing Director of the Private Foundation Management Services Group of PNC Wealth Management and President of Transformational Leadership Group, a character-based leadership consulting firm. After being in the non-profit sector for over 15 years, Dr. Bickel joined the bank in 1988 as Vice President and began managing the newly formed Charitable Trust Department of the Investment Management and Trust Division. His appointment marked the establishment of the Charitable Trust area as a separate department and line of business within the Trust Division. He brought a wealth of knowledge and experience from non-profits to his position as Department Manager. In mid-year 2000, he designed and implemented the newly established Private Foundation Management Services Group, which is now offered on a national basis.
Dr. Bickel is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy where he received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering. In 1966, he received The Midshipman of the Year Award given by the Annapolis, Maryland Chamber of Commerce, as well as the Thompson Trophy, given to the graduating senior who has done the most to promote intercollegiate athletics at the Naval Academy. After the completion of his service obligation, Dr. Bickel served as Vice President of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Kansas City, Missouri. He also holds the Master of Divinity and Doctor of Theology degrees from Luther Rice Seminary in Atlanta, Georgia. Subsequently, he served as senior pastor of churches in Kansas and Illinois. Dr. Bickel is also the recipient of an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Waynesburg University for his work with charities in the western Pennsylvania area.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
1. Baccalaureate Services will be held in the GNAC Gym at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 12th, 2012. The graduating class should gather in the Auxiliary Gym at 10:00 a.m. to prepare for the processional.
2. Commencement exercises will be held at 12:15 p.m. in the GNAC Gym on Saturday, May 12th, 2012. The graduating class needs to gather in the Auxiliary Gym at 11:45 a.m. to prepare for the processional.
3. Candidates for graduation should wear professional dress for Baccalaureate and Academic Regalia for Commencement. Note: Male graduates will need to remove their caps prior to the invocation and keep them off until just before the conferring of degrees.
4. Members of the graduating class are required to attend both Baccalaureate and Commencement exercises, as well as the rehearsal for these exercises, unless they have been exempted.
5. During the break between the baccalaureate and commencement services, a reception will be held on the porch of the Grady Nutt Athletic Center. Everyone is invited to help themselves to refreshments.
6. The ALC Bookstore will be open from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. on graduation day. The bookstore will be giving a 10% discount to all graduating seniors and their parents (excludes textbooks and food items).
The faculty and staff at Alice Lloyd College congratulate the graduating class of 2012! Please join us in wishing them all the best for the future.
Directions to campus: Click here.