A Tradition of Leadership
CANEY COTTAGE SCHOLARSHIPS
Alice Lloyd’s Caney Scholars Program financially supports our graduates seeking advanced degrees. It is the only program of its kind in the nation.
The success rate of ALC graduates is among the best in the country. In fact, on average, 96% of our alumni are either employed or attending graduate schools just six months after graduation. It is a long-standing tradition for the College to support a select number of scholarly students who plan to attend graduate or professional schools upon completion of their programs at ALC.
The Caney Cottage Scholarship Program provides scholarly ALC students with assistance in graduate and professional programs at the University of Kentucky and other universities. Our founder, Alice Geddes Lloyd, initiated the Caney Scholars Program in the 1920s and promptly acquired a building and property on Clifton Avenue in Lexington, KY to house her scholars. In 1992 Alice Lloyd College constructed a new residence hall on Rose Lane, adjacent to the University of Kentucky campus, to replace the original cottage. This 15,000-square-foot facility, known as the H. N. and Frances C. Berger Residence Hall (Caney Cottage), contains thirteen living units and can comfortably house 32 students. Caney Scholars attending the University of Kentucky live at the Cottage rent and utility-free just one block from campus. Scholars attending other colleges or universities are granted cash scholarships toward expenses.
The prestigious Caney Cottage Scholarships are offered on a competitive basis. Applicants must have high academic standards, be of strong character, and show potential for leadership. The Caney Scholars’ professional successes are evident. Alice Lloyd graduates serve as business leaders, teachers, doctors, lawyers, ministers, and in many other professions throughout Appalachia. Success is more than earning money or having power. At Alice Lloyd College, we believe success means serving your community by helping others become the best they can be and creating a better tomorrow for Appalachia and beyond. That’s why the Caney Cottage Scholarship Program continues to flourish.
Our goal is to help our graduates and then return highly-educated Appalachian natives back to the region to become the catalysts for change. Students who receive these scholarships are asked to return to the region if at all possible – 83% do!
444 Rose Lane, Lexington, KY
“Caney Cottage,” home to the Caney Scholars who attend the University of Kentucky
* A 13-unit apartment building constructed in 1992 and remodeled in 2012
*Apartments available for married and single students
*Each unit is furnished and includes appliances
*Laundry facilities available
*Excellent study environment
*Walking distance to the UK campus
*Residence manager on-site
To be a Caney Scholar, you must:
- graduate from Alice Lloyd College or complete a pre-professional curriculum for specified programs;
- graduate or complete pre-professional program with a 3.0 GPA and secure the recommendations from three faculty/staff members of which one must be the major advisor or appropriate division head;
- be in good standing socially and in the Student Work Program;
- enroll full-time and maintain a 2.5 GPA in the graduate/professional program;
- commit to serving the Appalachian region in the practice of his/her profession;
- apply by March 31st for fall or spring enrollment and complete an interview with the Caney Cottage Scholarship Committee;
- show evidence of admission to professional or graduate school at time of interview to receive immediate notice of scholarship status. Students whose admission is pending at the time of the interview must complete the interview process and present evidence of admission by June 1st for fall enrollment or October 1st for spring enrollment. A final decision cannot be made until the student produces evidence of admission;
- agree to uphold the standards outlined in the Alice Lloyd College Student Handbook and observe rules and regulations specified for Caney Cottage, if residing therein;
- enroll in graduate or professional school the semester following completion of their program at Alice Lloyd College.
Have questions? Contact the Academic Dean’s Office:
(606) 368 6061 extension 6061