Select Page

The June Buchanan School’s 4-12th grades traveled to the Regional Cedar Coal Fair held at the University of Pikeville’s former gym to recognize the success of their peers. JBS Regional Winners included:

Hunter Hylton, 8th grade, placed 1st in 6-8th English Literature

Kolton Hofsess, 6th grade, placed 3rd in 6-8th English Literature

Jake Long, 7th grade, placed 2nd in 6-8th Mathematics

Megan Hall, 8th grade, placed 3rd in 6-8th Social Studies

Alyssa Gregory, a JBS senior, placed 1st in 9-12th English Literature

Alyssa Gregory with her first place ribbon.

Students who placed were invited to the Cedar Awards Luncheon held at the Landmark Inn/Mark V on Saturday, April 14th, to celebrate their achievements and receive their cash prizes. JBS Cedar Coal School Coordinator and High School Science instructor Simeon Brace stated, “I’m very pleased with student participation and creativity in the projects this year. I’m looking forward to increased excitement in the following year. Our plans are to increase involvement across the grade levels next year.”

Middle School instructor Karen Bailey said, “I’m proud of the students’ participation this year! This is only the second year we have participated in the Cedar Coal Fair, and I think our students have done an excellent job! I’m looking forward to seeing how they will expand their ideas in the upcoming year. I enjoyed viewing so many phenomenal projects from across the region. I’m excited about the future of coal, because clearly students in this region are ‘Friends of Coal!’”