Select Page

The Alice Lloyd College Eagles Cross Country program is pleased to announce the signing of another of the mountains’ top runners to an athletic letter of intent for the upcoming 2012-13 school year.

ALC’s Director of Athletics and Cross Country Coach Gary D. Stepp traveled to Jenkins on April 9th, and he happily returned with the fresh signature of Jenkins senior Ethan Bowling.

In response as to what influenced him to pick Alice Lloyd to continue his education, the quiet-spoken Cavalier star replied, “I picked ALC because it is considered an all-around great school. Also, the people are all so nice. It just has a homey feel which I really enjoyed.”

As to what he was most looking forward to about ALC, Bowling stated, “I look forward to having all kinds of new experiences. I am also looking forward to the opportunity to run in a new league and compete with new teammates.”

When asked about his personal expectations after making his college decision, Bowling responded, “My expectations are to enjoy college and work hard all four years. I really want to maintain a good GPA. I also expect to have a lot of fun running with my team!”

Bowling and his coaches Robert Adams and Lynn Gilliam.

After the signings, a pleased Coach Stepp said, “I am thrilled to sign Ethan Bowling to a letter of intent for many reasons. First, I know what a quality young man he is. Ethan is a hard worker in both the classroom and the athletic arena. Second, I see his appreciation for an opportunity to run on the collegiate level. Third, Ethan is part of a solid program at Jenkins. He has been exposed to positive, caring coaches that have encouraged him to do his best, and he has had an excellent career. I feel fortunate to sign him.”

Stepp would also add, “I am striving to build a competitive program at Alice Lloyd. ALC recruits exclusively from the Appalachia area and does not travel the country in search of athletes. Therefore, it is critical for me to get the best student-athletes in the mountains who will embrace the philosophy of our school and become the future leaders in our area. The number one priority for me is that each of our athletes works hard academically and that they each earn their degree.  I know that Ethan Bowling has outstanding potential, and I believe that his best days are ahead of him. I know that with his personality and work ethic, he is the type of individual I want representing our college. And he is a perfect fit for us. I am extremely happy to welcome him into the Eagles family.”

*Pictured with Ethan Bowling in the lead photo are (L-R): Coach Gary Stepp, Bowling’s parents Jennie Ann and Quinn Bowling, and his coaches Robert Adams and Lynn Gilliam.