Select Page

The Alice Lloyd College Eagles Cross Country program is pleased to announce the signing of one of the mountains’ elite female runners to an athletic letter of intent for the upcoming 2012-13 school year.

ALC’s Director of Athletics and Cross Country Coach Gary D. Stepp traveled to Hyden on April 25th, and he happily returned with the fresh signature of Leslie County senior Allison Holbrook.

In response as to what influenced her to pick Alice Lloyd, the excited Eagles star replied, “I picked Alice Lloyd because it was close to home and had the program I was looking for. Everyone really made me feel wanted.” Holbrook added, “I also wanted a college where I could become part of a family with my team. I feel that I have found this at ALC.”

When asked about her expectations after announcing her college decision, Holbrook responded, “My expectations are to make new friends and to have both a very successful running and academic career. I am most looking forward to my new team and to having new experiences on the college level!”

After the signing, an elated Coach Stepp said, “I am thrilled to sign Allison Holbrook to a letter of intent for many reasons. First, I know what a quality young lady she is. Allison is not only a good person, but she is a talented and dedicated student-athlete in both the classroom and the athletic arena. Second, I love her work ethic, and also see her appreciation for an opportunity to run on the collegiate level. Third, Allison was a major force at Leslie County. She has had an excellent career during high school, and I easily consider her one of the top senior runners in our entire recruiting area. Her parents, principals, teachers, and coaches have done an excellent job in guiding Allison to work hard and use her God-given talents to achieve her dreams. I feel fortunate to have signed her to attend our college.”

Stepp would also add, “I am striving to build a competitive program at Alice Lloyd. ALC recruits exclusively from the Appalachia area and does not travel the country in search of athletes. Therefore, it is critical for me to get the best student-athletes in the mountains who will embrace the philosophy of our school and become the future leaders in our area. The number one priority for me is that each of our athletes works hard academically and that they each earn their degree.  I know that Allison has outstanding potential, and she is a perfect fit for us. I am extremely happy to welcome her into the Eagles family.”

*Pictured in the lead photo are: front row (l-r) Allison’s mother Alecia Holbrook, Allison Holbrook, and Allison’s dad Richie Hamrick; back row (l-r) Leslie County Head Coach Joel Brashear, Elizabeth Stepp, ALC Coach and Director of Athletics Gary D. Stepp, and Leslie County Assistant Coach Gary Douglas.