Students are expected to conduct themselves both on and off campus as responsible members of a community and to demonstrate courtesy and respect for others. Abusive behavior, offensive language, theft, sexual misconduct, or placing a fellow member of the community in jeopardy in any way will not be tolerated.
Consistent with the tradition and philosophy of Alice Lloyd College are high standards of conduct and attitude. The attitudes of members of this community are reflected in the manner of speaking, in consideration of others’ property, in appropriate dress for the occasion at hand, in the quality of relationships and in excellence of work performed.
Students may be informed of regulations not printed in The Student Handbook which also apply.
Alice Lloyd College has a long-standing tradition of emphasizing development of the total person and a commitment to personal and community enhancement. As members of the campus community, students are expected to dress modestly and appropriately for various occasions.
The College recognizes that “modest” or “appropriate” is often loosely defined in society at large. Therefore, the following guidelines are offered to assist students in choosing suitable dress:
Professional Day (Tuesday) Dress:
Professional dress will be required of all students on central campus until 2:00 p.m. every Tuesday and for all convocation programs. Central campus includes all of the campus buildings with the exception of the gym, maintenance building, fitness center, and the residence halls.
Note: Professional Dress is defined as attire appropriate for professional business presentation or job interviews.
Professional Dress for Men (all items listed together must coordinate) consists of:
- Business suit, dress shirt (tucked in), tie, belt, dress socks and coordinating dress shoes or boots.
- Sport coat, dress slacks, dress shirt (button-down long/short sleeve, tucked in), belt, tie, dress socks and coordinating dress shoes or boots
- Polished lace-up or slip on shoes
- Polished dress or western boots
Professional Dress for Women (all items listed together must coordinate) consists of:
- Business pantsuit (matching jacket/pants), blouse, hosiery/matching trouser socks, and appropriate dress shoes.
- Business skirt suit, blouse, nylons, and appropriate dress shoes.
- Business dress with sleeves or coordinating jacket, nylons, and appropriate dress shoes.
- Dress shoes with heel no higher than 2″
- Professional open-toed shoes with/without a back strap and with heels no higher than 2”
- Knee-length dress boots with heel no higher than 2”
Casual attire will be permitted on central campus at any time with the exception of professional day (Tuesdays until 2:00 p.m.). Students are asked to use reasonable discernment with regard to casual dress. Casual attire includes jeans, sweat suits, and walking shorts (which are past mid-thigh and in good taste).
Notations and Exceptions:
- The College requires that all students remove their hats/caps when entering the cafeteria, classrooms or at special functions such as convocations.
- Casual attire is allowed for breakfast any day of the week.
- With the exception of professional day, students will be permitted to wear nylon sweats or walking shorts during the noon meal.
- Clothing with slogans or artwork which the College deems to be inappropriate will not be permitted on campus.
- Hairstyles and jewelry are to be modestly selected as determined by the Dean of Students. Earrings on males and facial or body rings on males or females are not allowed.
Dean of Students and Community Life
Phone: (423) 646-3795
Head Resident of Berger-Auen Hall
Phone: (606) 368-6012
Pippa Passes Police Department
Phone: (606) 368-2121