Select Page

Students from Alice Lloyd College’s Omega Alpha Tau Chapter of Phi Beta Lambda recently traveled to compete in the 2019 Kentucky Phi Beta Lambda Spring Leadership Conference. The conference was held March 22nd and 23rd on the campus of Eastern Kentucky University.

During the conference, students were tested alongside their peers from institutions across the state on their knowledge in certain business subjects such as economics and marketing. The tests were subsequently graded, and the students were placed according to how well they performed. ALC was well-represented, its students having obviously prepared themselves for their specified subject(s) — out of the seven Alice Lloyd College students who competed, six of them placed.

ALC chapter Vice President Pat Riley, a junior at Alice Lloyd College, was elected State Secretary. In response to being asked about his achievement, he said, “I would not have been able to even run for office had it not been for the encouragement I received from ALC’s PBL Chapter Advisor, Mrs. Denise Jacobs and current PBL President Brooklyn Reid. They pushed me beyond my boundaries and helped me gain my confidence.” As State Secretary, Pat will be responsible for maintaining thorough records of all meetings and general documents. Additionally, Pat says he is excited to: “Expand my perspective on what it takes to be a leader and be able to collaborate with local chapters to help them achieve their chapter goals so we can grow Kentucky PBL into something even greater than it already is. I am confident that I will be able to bring fresh ideas to the table and I’m excited to watch our membership both on campus and across the state grow!”

Brooklyn Reid, president of Alice Lloyd College’s PBL chapter and a graduating senior, also noted how proud she was of her team, saying, “Our members have worked hard in their academics, and I am overjoyed that they have been recognized at the state level. We competed against larger schools and to see so many awards go to our students, I think it is a true testament to how Alice Lloyd’s academics rival that larger, public schools in Kentucky. I am beyond blessed to have served as President of this wonderful group of people this year and I know that, without a doubt, every one of them will go on to do great things.”

Due to their successes at the state level, the following students are eligible to travel to and compete in the National Leadership Conference in San Antonio, Texas this summer:

Joshua Baker – 1st place in Public Speaking and 3rd place in Business Communications
Lindsay Blanken – 1st place in Business Communications and 3rd place in Public Speaking
Shantil Marcum – 1st place in Community Service Project (team event)
Pat Riley – 1st place in Microeconomics and Community Service Project (team event)
Brooklyn Reid – 1st place in Community Service Project (team event)
Kaela Shaw – 3rd place in Sports Management and Marketing
Chapter Awards – 1st place in Annual Business Report (prepared by Brooklyn Reid)

Additionally, the ALC chapter received the honor of being recognized as the Outstanding Local Chapter in the state of Kentucky. Brooklyn Reid attributes this accolade to the ALC PBL’s keen focus on planning activities that not only “fosters principles mirrored in the ALC Purpose Road Philosophy” but also in the three pillars of the national organization of Phi Beta Lambda; service, education, and progress. Brooklyn remarks, “We are a very active chapter in that we meet for community service two to four times each month through our Power Up with Nutrition Program. Also, we emphasize education by fundraising and encouraging our members to attend the state conference every spring so that they will have the opportunity to network with other student participants and professionals that volunteer with Kentucky PBL. The professional atmosphere surrounding both the state and national conferences that we attend prepares our members for the professional work environment that they will enter upon graduation. Additionally, our chapter wouldn’t have been able to achieve this award without the generous support that we receive from the college’s administration.”

Alice Lloyd College wishes its chapter of Phi Beta Lambda good luck as they work to prepare for the National Leadership Conference and continue to travel and compete!