Select Page

Jerry WayneAloha From “The Lloyd”

How do you like that? “Aloha from the Lloyd”. That is sort of my hip way of saying “Greetings from Alice Lloyd College”. I think “Aloha” is a Hawaiian word for “hello” and is also used for “goodbye”. Maybe I have Hawaii on my mind because my wife wants to go to Hawaii on our 20th wedding anniversary. I doubt that happening, but we will save that story for another day.

The purpose of this letter is to ask you to click on this link and make a $1.00 donation to Alice Lloyd College. Yes, one dollar—not ten dollars—not ten thousand dollars—or not ten million dollars!

Please, please, please read on!

Alumni giving is a major part of the success and future of ALC. If alumni donate to the College, then foundations will donate larger amounts as a result. Here at ALC, we survive on private donations, and we accept no government funding. Alice Lloyd College survives on donations sent from people who believe in our purpose of educating Appalachian students.

Teresa Grender, our Director of Alumni Relations, contacted me back in 1998 asking me to serve on the Alumni Board as Chairman of the Alumni Giving Committee. At that time, the percentage of alumni who donated to ALC was about 8 percent. In the last 18 years, we have worked very hard and the giving percentage last year was 45 percent—the highest ever. Teresa and I are so proud, and you should be as well! 

So why am I asking for $1.00? There are a couple of reasons.

First, I have probably watched too many times, the old “This is Your Life” video when Ralph Edwards, on national television, asked everyone in America to send one dollar to what was then called “Caney Junior College”. Close your eyes and try to imagine the excitement on campus when those $1.00 gifts from all across America began rolling in. I want the school to experience that kind of excitement again!

The second reason is that since I am now President of the Alumni Association, I am hanging up my spurs as Chairman of Alumni Giving. (No, I am not hanging up my ALC spurs. I will be on this campus until they make me leave.)

But, I want to go out with a bang! I want our alumni giving percentage to be the highest in the nation. Really, I do! I want to reach 50%. We will be legends!  (This might even get us in the Guinness Book of World Records!)   

So here is my plan! And, it’s so simple!

Just click on this link and send a dollar (Isn’t that a great plan? Thought it up myself!) It’s a quick and secure way to support the College.

My Dad passed away a little less than three years ago. I miss him every day and I think about him in everything I do, even while writing this letter. He wanted me to accomplish great things. From the day of my first recollection to the day of his death, he told me every day, as he put it, “Son, you have an obligation to society to make the world a better place”. I have accepted that I am not going to cure deadly diseases, put an end to world hunger, or lead the world to peace. But maybe—just maybe—if we keep doing our part at Alice Lloyd College, our graduates will change the world.   

I started with “Aloha from the Lloyd” and that is how I will end. 

Aloha from “The Lloyd”

Jerry Signature

Jerry Wayne Slone

Alumni Association President

P.S.     The deadline is July 28, so please – pretty please – send your dollar today!

P.S.S.  Be sure to contact your fellow alumni to get them to help too!!