Select Page

by Adele Williams, Student Contributor

photo 2Student writer, Adele Williams, recently had the opportunity to catch up with ALC alumni Edward ‘Eddie’ Dixon. Adele, who is currently double majoring in Sociology and English at ALC, had the privilege of taking Advanced Placement World History under Mr. Dixon during her sophomore year at Lawrence County High School.

Dixon, who was a Social Studies/Secondary Education major with a minor in History, began his education at ALC in August of 1993 and graduated in May of 1998. Dixon wore several hats during his time at ALC. He was assigned to be a member of the grounds crew for his work study, and during his freshman year helped to construct the rock wall that still serves as a retainer for Caney Creek in front of the McGaw Library and Learning Center and the Grady Nutt Athletic Center. He also worked in the intramural program, and was awarded the Intramural Work Study Award during his senior year.  Dixon was also a star member of the baseball team, earning the Hustle Award in 1996 and being named a Tennessee-Virginia Athletic Conference (TVAC) All-Conference Honorable Mention during his junior year.

In addition to being a student-athlete, Dixon went out of his way to involve himself in various school organizations and volunteer his time to others. With the help of then education professor, Dr. Murray, Dixon worked to implement the “Stay in School” Program, which allowed members of the program to travel to a number of elementary, middle, and high schools in order to inform students of the importance of staying in school.

Dixon says he chose to attend Alice Lloyd College when Adrian Hall, the admissions counselor at that time visited his high school and explained that students could earn their degree without paying for tuition. He says, “The decision was almost one hundred percent completely made at that very moment,” but it was completely made when he learned that he would be able to play baseball on a collegiate level after trying out that summer. “It was always a dream of mine to play collegiate athletics and I am very much appreciative of the fact that I was able to receive that opportunity at Alice Lloyd College.”

After finishing his bachelor’s degree at Alice Lloyd, Dixon went on to receive a Masters’ Degree in Education with an emphasis in social studies from Morehead State University in 2005 and completed his Master’s Degree in Instructional Leadership from the University of the Cumberlands in December of 2012. Dixon was offered a position as the Assistant Principal at Louisa East Elementary, which is home to approximately 560 children, grades 2-5. Dixon says, “During my sixteen-year tenure as a classroom educator, I learned much from my administrators and colleagues, but I also took the time to join professional groups, I’ve taken on multiple roles, attended seminars, and take an active role in my education career by corresponding with others from across the state and nation. I feel it is imperative to ‘not leave any stone unturned’, and I feel that Alice Lloyd contributed to my work ethic.”

Eddie Dixon

In addition to being an educator, Dixon has spent seven years working with the Lawrence County High School Academic Team, four of which he has served as the head coach. He excitedly comments, “Last year, we won our district for the first time in seventeen years, and two years prior we had a state champion in written composition.” He also coordinates the school district’s PT3, which stands for Parent-Teachers Talking Together. PT3 strives to better communicate goals and objectives with the student’s parents and community members. Dixon is currently in the preliminary stage of being admitted to the Doctoral Program at the University of the Cumberlands, where he plans to complete his doctorate in education and position himself to continue his career in higher education, either in upper level administration or as a consultant.

In 2001, Dixon received the “Outstanding Educator” award from the Governor’s Scholars Program, and in 2013 was awarded the “Teachers Who Make a Difference” honor from the University of Kentucky.

Dixon, along with his wife, Kelli, have welcomed two beautiful children, Malllori and Tucker, into the world, and is an active member in his community. When asked what his plans for the future are, Dixon states, “Obviously any plans in the future will be predicated upon what is best for my family and me.”

He says, “Without a doubt, if I had the option to return to Pippa Passes, I would. In having said that, some undergrads may read this and think it is absurd. However, Alice Lloyd College prepares you to become a leader and instills the proper qualities and attributes necessary to be successful upon graduation. I am a proud graduate of ALC, and I look fondly at my time, relationships, and experiences there.”