Select Page
Jacob Medley 2-2

(Back Row L-R) Athletic Director Pete Fraley, ALC Coach Gary Stepp, Boyd Co. Coach Shawn Thornbury. (Front Row L-R) Angel Medley, Jacob Medley, and Tim Medley.

The Alice Lloyd College Eagles Cross Country Program recently signed Boyd County star athlete Jacob Medley to an athletic letter of intent for the upcoming 2015-16 school year.

Medley, who only had the opportunity to run for his senior season after a hip injury rendered him unable to compete during his junior year, has an impressive record of 16:51. In addition to this, Medley helped to lead the Boyd County Lions to their best season in twenty-one years, finishing 11th as a team in the KHSAA State AA Championship. Medley finished at 17:48, placing him 40th out of the 220 individual athletes competing in the Championship. 

“I expect to grow as a person, as a student, and as an athlete. I feel like the staff is very positive and will influence me in a positive way. I would love to help make ALC a big name in cross country," stated Medley.

“I expect to grow as a person, as a student, and as an athlete. I feel like the staff is very positive and will influence me in a positive way. I would love to help make ALC a big name in cross country,” stated Medley.

After the signing, an elated Coach Stepp replied, “I am thrilled to sign Jacob to a letter of intent for many reasons. First, I know what a quality young man he is. Jacob is a tremendous hard worker both in the classroom and at the athletic arena. Second, I love his work ethic, and also see his appreciation for an opportunity to run on the collegiate level. Third, Jacob is a new runner and possesses a tremendous amount of upside. I think his best running days are definitely in front of him. Fourth, Jacob has helped to make Boyd County an elite program in the mountains. He has had an excellent season and I easily consider him one of the top senior runners in our entire recruiting area. His coach, Shawn Thornbury, has done an excellent job in building Boyd County into a power in the mountains, and I see the quality student-athletes he produces. I feel fortunate to ink one of his runners.”

Medley is excited to attend Alice Lloyd in the fall, where he plans to pursue a degree in education with a minor in English. He says, “I’m ecstatic about my future as a student-athlete at Alice Lloyd! I owe everything that I have become to God.”

Coach Stepp, who also serves as ALC’s Director of Athletics, strives to build a competitive cross country program. In doing so, he recruits exclusively from the Appalachian area. However, he says that his number one priority is for the athletes to succeed academically, earning their degrees in the five years allotted by the Appalachian Leaders College Scholarship. “I know that Jacob has outstanding potential and that he is a perfect fit for us. I am extremely happy to welcome him into the Eagle family.”