Select Page

IMG_8147Elisha Justice, former University of Louisville basketball player, has been named the new boys’ basketball coach for the June Buchanan Crusaders.

Justice had a “fairy-tale” high school basketball career, averaging 20.1 points, 5.9 assists, 3.9 rebounds, and 3.9 steals per game during his senior year. His efforts helped make the Shelby Valley Wildcats the 2010 KHSAA State Basketball Champions and completed the season 32-4, ranking them 90th in the nation. For his achievements, Justice was named MVP of the state tournament, Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball, and became the 2010 Gatorade Kentucky Player of the Year.

Justice began his college basketball career at the University of Louisville, where he proudly played for Coach Rick Pitino. As a two year member of the Cardinals, Justice was a solid contributor as a point guard, earning himself the nickname “the Bullet”. During his sophomore year, Justice saw Louisville win the Big East Tournament and play in the Final Four, held in the Superdome in New Orleans where the Cardinals played the University of Kentucky Wildcats.

After his second year, Justice transferred to the University of Pikeville in order to be close to home. Justice completed his last two years of eligibility at UPike, where he led the team in assists and steals.

Justice says, “I have been involved in the game my entire life, and I have been fortunate to have learned under some great coaches. I want the opportunity to help these young men grow and improve just like I was given the chance by others.”

Amanda Clark, Dean of the June Buchanan School, had high praise for the new coach. “The thing that impresses me the most about Mr. Justice, even more than his basketball expertise, is his high character. I am certain that he will be an excellent role model for our students both on and off the basketball court. I am confident that the young men and women at JBS will learn a lot from him, and I am so glad to welcome him and his wife Morgan into the JBS family.”

Justice is inheriting a young team, but the first year coach is eager for the challenge. “I can’t wait to get to work. I am going to push these young men to become the best that they can be. I can’t predict a record, but I know that we will be ready to give our all every day in both practices and games.  I am confident that with hard work, we will develop into the best we can possibly be, and that is all I can ask.”

Justice is married to Morgan Varney of Belfry, KY. He is also the pastor of the Pilgrims Prayer Church in Dorton.