Select Page

by Patrick Hall, Class of 2012

Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall

I graduated from Alice Lloyd College in 2012 with a bachelor of arts in both History and Sociology. I am originally from Jeff, in Perry County, Kentucky, so, when it came time to choosing a college, ALC caught my attention because it was so close to home. At the time, I didn’t feel like a “big city school” was right for me. In addition to being close to home, ALC offered many excellent opportunities to its students, including its unique Caney Scholars Program.

Through the Caney Scholars Program, I have been able to live in Caney Cottage, which is located on Rose Lane in Lexington, Kentucky, rent and utility-free while attending the University of Kentucky. In May of 2014 I graduated from UK with a master’s degree in History. I plan to apply to Ph.D. programs in hopes of one day teaching history on the collegiate level.

At ALC I seized every opportunity offered to me. I served as Vice President of the ALC Environmental Club and was also a member of Alpha Chi. My original work-study position was serving as a kitchen assistant in Alice Lloyd’s cafeteria (the Hunger Din), and with hard work and dedication, I was able to become a teacher’s assistant in the College’s Social Science Department. Because I committed myself to my studies and my work, I won the Senior History Award during my last year at ALC. Recently, during my master’s program, I was inducted into Phi Alpha Theta, the National History Honor Society. It just goes to show that hard work pays off and that it will continue to do so.

My four years at Alice Lloyd College were outstanding. I was able to forge close bonds with students, staff, and faculty members who greatly improved my educational experiences. I hope that I can embody the Purpose Road Philosophy and help future students from eastern Kentucky just as the many people I met at ALC were able to help me.

Alice Lloyd College is always looking for stories about our alumni! If you have a story to tell, or if you know an alumna or alumnus who has received an award, published an article, book, or influential research, or has accomplished something noteworthy, please let us know by visiting this page.