Select Page

by Allison Holbrook, Junior/Accounting and Business Management major

1012887_10152327577099723_8138492468401423653_nI would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your generous support to Alice Lloyd College. As a proud recipient of the Jean H. Ingles Award in Business, I am extremely grateful for your donation.

I grew up in a small town approximately an hour from here. My father is a coal miner, and my mother works as a secretary at a concrete company. While both of my parents work, neither of them was financially able to pay my tuition to attend college. Without the support of donors like you I would not be attending college or have been presented with the opportunities before me.

As a first-generation college student, I thought that it would be impossible for me to go to college. I knew that college was expensive. I knew my parents could not pay the rising out-of-pocket costs for a college education, and I knew that I did not want to graduate thousands of dollars in debt.

After looking at schools across Kentucky, Alice Lloyd College stood out. An admissions representative explained the College’s tuition guarantee to me, and I learned that, through the generosity and kindness of donors like you, I am able to attend Alice Lloyd and graduate with little to no debt! I was amazed by this. I could not believe that someone whom I had never met was going to pay for me to go to college.

Due to my academic achievements in high school, I was awarded ALC’s Presidential Scholarship. The scholarship will cover the price of my room and board, as well as the cost of my textbooks. This scholarship, along with the tuition guarantee, ensures that all of my expenses are covered, which means that I pay no out-of-pocket tuition costs while at Alice Lloyd! It is impossible to describe how grateful I am for the financial support this has provided. I thank God every night that He made a way for me to be where I am today. I went from not knowing if I was even going to be able to attend college to being on track to become the first college graduate in my family.

I am currently majoring in Accounting and Business Management. My goal is to become a Certified Public Accountant and continue to work for my current employer, 1st Trust Bank. When I finish here at Alice Lloyd, I am going to apply for the College’s prestigious Caney Cottage Scholarship, and if awarded, I plan to attend the University of Kentucky to earn a master’s degree in accounting.  

The Commodore Slone Building, often simply referred to as “the business building,” has become somewhat of a second home on campus. I have spent many late nights working on research papers, accounting projects, economics presentations and community service plans in that building. It is a blessing to be able to study in a quiet, peaceful environment. The students and professors are like a second family. My professors encourage me to strive for excellence in the classroom, as well as in every other aspect of life. I have the opportunity to learn not only about business related subjects, but also about faith, family and life after college. My professors are superior educators, mentors and friends. It is because of their push and their high expectations that I am able to succeed in the classroom and was awarded the Jean H. Ingels Award in Business.

Allison also received the Irma Derderian Stepp Endowed Scholarship at ALC's Honors Day celebration this year. She is pictured with Gary Stepp (next to her), Irma Stepp, and fellow recipient Chris Meeks.

Allison also received the Irma Derderian Stepp Endowed Scholarship at ALC’s Honors Day celebration this year. She is pictured with Gary Stepp (next to her), Irma Stepp, and fellow recipient Chris Meeks.

Along with my job and my studies here at Alice Lloyd, I am currently involved in several other activities throughout campus. I am captain of the Women’s Cross Country Team, President of Phi Beta Lambda, Vice President of the Entrepreneurship Club and Vice President of Administration for the Student Government Association (SGA). These positions have provided me with a chance to increase my leadership skills and to build life-long relationships. I have met my best friends through being involved in these organizations. My extensive involvement in these organizations and various on-campus activities has certainly benefited me socially, but even more importantly, it is helping me build a competitive resumé.

The donations you provide have given me much more than an education. Your support has provided me an opportunity I never thought I would have. You have made the way for me to become the first college graduate in my family, and you have laid a firm foundation for my future family. Thanks to you I will have a college degree and will be able to provide for them without worry. You have given me the opportunity to meet extraordinary people who have inspired me to become the best person I can be. It is still truly hard to comprehend your generosity and service not only to me, but to every student here at Alice Lloyd College. I pray that the Lord blesses you in all that you do. 

Again, thank you for your gift to Alice Lloyd College!

Help us continue the work of Mrs. Alice Lloyd and countless others by giving to Alice Lloyd College! With gifts from people like you, we can continue to offer a high-quality education to the young people of Appalachia. Click here to make your gift today!