Select Page

by Gary Stepp

Boling (at center) signs her letter of intent.

PIPPA PASSES, Ky. — Tuesday may have been April Fool’s Day, but the Alice Lloyd College Eagles Cross Country program had an enjoyable day for all the right reasons, as they are pleased to announce the signing of Sullivan East (TN) senior Allison Boling to a cross country letter of intent. The signing took place on the campus of Alice Lloyd College.

Boling, who began competitive running in middle school, helped lead her squad to a successful stretch over her high school career. The multi-talented senior, who also sings and plays several musical instruments, guided Sullivan East to three consecutive conference championships, as well as one Regional runner-up trophy. This season, they earned a sixth-place finish in the state meet. Individually, Boling was twice named as an All- Conference selection.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           In response to what influenced her to pick Alice Lloyd, the excited Boling said, “When my brother decided to attend Alice Lloyd and play baseball a couple of years ago, I came along and visited with him and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It’s a small campus, which suits me best, and everyone seemed like a big family. Furthermore, I also felt it would give me the best opportunity to continue running cross country, in addition to bringing my music here with me and having more opportunities to perform.”

When asked about her expectations after announcing her college decision, Boling responded, “My expectations are to get a quality education and be able to focus on my goals as I prepare for the future. I plan to leave here with a business degree and a solid work ethic. As far as running, I am really excited to have the chance to represent ALC as a member of the squad. I intend to get in the best shape of my life and improve on my previous years of running!”

Pictured in photo (standing, l-r): ALC's cross country head coach Gary Stepp and Allison's brother Aaron Boling; (seated, l-r): Allison's father Jim Boling, Allison Boling, and Allison's mother, Denise.

Pictured in photo (standing, l-r): ALC’s cross country head coach Gary Stepp and Allison’s brother Aaron Boling; (seated, l-r): Allison’s father Jim Boling, Allison Boling, and Allison’s mother, Denise.

After the signing, an elated Coach Gary Stepp replied, “I am thrilled to sign Allison to a letter of intent for many reasons. First, I know what a quality young lady she is. She is a talented and dedicated student-athlete in both the classroom and the athletic arena. Second, I love her work ethic, and I know how much she enjoys running. Third, I also see her appreciation for an opportunity to run on the collegiate level. Her parents, principals, teachers, and coaches have done an excellent job in advising her to work hard and use her God-given talents to achieve her dreams. I feel fortunate to have signed Allison to attend here.”

Stepp would also add, “I am striving to build a competitive program at Alice Lloyd. ALC recruits exclusively from the Appalachia area and does not travel the country in search of athletes. Therefore, it is critical for me to get the best student-athletes in the mountains who will embrace the philosophy of our school and become the future leaders in our area. The number-one priority for me is that each of our athletes works hard academically and that they each earn their degree. I know that Allison has outstanding potential, and she is a perfect fit for us. I am extremely happy to welcome her into the Eagle family.”